When it comes to bed styling, I’m all about layers. Adding different patterns and details with each layer brings texture and dimension to a space. Every time we have guests stay over night, they comment on how comfy our beds are and how well they slept. This makes me so happy because cozy and homey is always the #1 goal 🙂
Here is how I style extra cozy and inviting beds:
1. Add fitted and flat bedsheets. I recommend solid colored and extra soft cotton or linen. Style tip: Put the finished side down leaving ~10” of slack at the top to fold over the next layer.
2. Add at least two standard or king sleeping pillows with pillow cases to match the sheets. Style tip: Add two more sleeping pillows with shams to match your duvet. I like to neatly stack 2 on each side.
3. Add a lightweight textured quilt or coverlet. Style tip: Incorporate different patterns and textures especially when working with a monochromatic color scheme. Think quilted, embroidered, waffled, hand-stitched, ruched, or velvet! To layer on, fold back with the sheet underneath.
4. Add a duvet cover filled with an alternative down or down insert. Same as the quilt, don’t be afraid to experiment with texture and patterns. Style tip: Fold in half, then back in thirds to give it that magazine styled extra fluffy look (and to show off all your pretty layers 🙂 )
5. Add 2-3 euro shams, depending on the bed size. Style tip: I add 3 for king and 2 for queen, and typically match my euros to my quilt.
6. Finish off with my husbands favorite (not) – throw pillows! I like to experiment with contrasting patterns and colors especially if the rest of my bedding is neutral. Style tip: Use a few different sizes and incorporate different style details. For our master king bed, I used two 20×20 square throw pillows, one smaller rectangle, and one lumbar pillow.
7. Optional: Add footing, like a light throw or chunky knitted blanket.
I love how all the layers work together to create a classic, serene, and inviting feel. Doesn’t it make you want to jump right in?!